AWS+RoboMaker tutorial minor bugs + feedback

I have been trying out the ROSBot and AWS integration using the tutorial and documentation here.
I am happy to note that by-in-large everything works. The examples/tutorials are very nice and it is clear you have put in quite some work for this. I did have to fix a couple of elements, and have some notes of feedback to give.

Minor Bugs:

1. In the AWS Configuration template, the Managed Policy for the rosbot_robomaker_role has an error. The Robomaker access role should be AWSRoboMaker_FullAccess (with an underscore).
  2. When updating the submodules of the Husarion Git, it removes the include directories of the ``tutorial_pkg`. However the catkin build files list install targets for the include directories. This causes the colon build to fail (on AWS Cloud9) with a “missing directory” error. This can be fixed by adding include directories or removing the catkin install target.
  3. When using a Cloud9 environment, the ./IDE_setup.bash script conducts a sudo pip and sudo pip3 install. The use of sudo here breaks the colon bundle. It can be fixed by installing without sudo, however note in the feedback I found these installs unnecessary (on Cloud9).
  4. If you have a ROSBot pro, then the instructions of which greengrass software to choose is incorrect. The x86_64 is required. While this should be obvious if you know which robot you have, it might be nice to have a note on the tutorial as a reminder.

1. When using a Cloud9 environment, I did not find the ./IDE_setup.bash script necessary. I only needed to
    1. Checkout the husarion code from Git
    2. Update/pull the git submodules
    3. Create colon build/bundle using the Cloud9 interface (Run menu → add/edit configurations)
    4. Create a simulation job through the Cloud 9 interface (Run menu → add/edit configurations)
  2. The pip/pip3 install packages appeared to be unnecessary.
  3. I successfully deployed remotely to the ROSBot Pro 2.0 through green grass. However, I find it easier to simply checkout my own code locally on the robot, as deployment is very slow (with a large 500mb+ file). There also appears to be no way to remotely terminate the ROS process, which is an issues with AWS not Husarion’s setup.

Once again, thank you for the detailed code examples, instructions and gazebo worlds. This has been very useful.

1 Like

Hi Tim_RMIT,

Thank you for your detailed review :slight_smile:

That kind of feedback is extremely important to us. We will update our tutorial soon according to your suggestions.

I hope you will check also our other tutorials and will share your thoughts about them in future!

One more time thank you and best regards,
Hubert

Thank you.

I have been looking at the various tutorials / documentation and haven’t particularly noticed items to note until the AWS one.

1 Like