CORE2-mini implementation with existing framework

Hello all,

I would like to learn more and experiment with ROS and it’s implementation, before purchasing Husarion ROSbot and to make sure it will fit to my projects. I am familiar with electronics, RAS PI , arduino, sensors, motors, etc and integration with computers and SBC, however I am new to ROS and LIDARs. So first, I would like to purchase Husarion CORE2-mini and some components and built test environment to learn and experiment with ROS and get familiar with its configuration for actuators, LIDARs, and other sensors.
So I got a few questions:

• I would like to start just with Husarion ROSbot software and use it with CORE2-mini, Raspberry PI 3B, IMU, Raspberry PI camera and 2 inexpensive motors with built-in encoders. Is CORE2-mini backward compatible with CORE2 in terms of current Husarion framework and software that I see in GitHub?
  • Can I use RPLlidar A1 or XV-11 for testing purposes instead of RPLidar A2? Which configuration files should I tweak if I will be using different LIDAR and motors?

Thank you very much,
Leo

Hi Leo,

Is CORE2-mini backward compatible with CORE2 in terms of current Husarion framework and software that I see in GitHub?

Unfortunately ROSbot using more function than CORE2-mini can provide. For example 4 motors (only 2 port available) or 6 hSens port (only 3 available). So if you want to use this firmware on CORE2-mini you have to cut all function which using these ports which don’t exist and compile code for CORE2-mini.

Can I use RPLlidar A1 or XV-11 for testing purposes instead of RPLidar A2? Which configuration files should I tweak if I will be using different LIDAR and motors?

You just have to change TF for LIDAR A1 because of difference in orientation. Everything else should works perfectly fine.

In case you will occur any problems please let me know.

Best regards,
Hubert

Thank you very much Hubert!

Even though I was planning to use 2 motors for now and less sensors, I guess, its better to use CORE2 right away instead of CORE2mini, so we don’t need to modify and recompile the firmware code in the future. The only thing CORE2 is not available for purchase on the Husarion web site. Do you know when its become available?

As far as RPLidar A1 configuration. In which config file should I make changes for TF? Also you mentioned about orientation, should I physically change A1 orientation on the robot platform as well, i.e. turn it 180 degree?

Thanks again,
Leo

Hi Leo,

If I understood your project correctly you need CORE2-ROS instead of CORE2 :wink:

The only thing CORE2 is not available for purchase on the Husarion web site. Do you know when its become available?

All of our controllers will back to store in week or two ( I hope so :stuck_out_tongue: )

As far as RPLidar A1 configuration. In which config file should I make changes for TF? Also you mentioned about orientation, should I physically change A1 orientation on the robot platform as well, i.e. turn it 180 degree?

Please use just one of option that you mentioned. You just have to run static_transform_publisher like this:

rosrun tf static_transform_publisher 0 0 0.1 0 0 0 base_link laser_frame 100

with RpLidar A2 we have to use:

rosrun tf static_transform_publisher 0 0 0.1 3.14 0 0 base_link laser_frame 100

or physically turn your LIDAR by 180 deg and use instruction from our tutorials normally.

Best regards,
Hubert