Panther ROS2 Motor Drivers

Is it necessary to update the motor drivers when updating to ROS2 from ROS?

I was reading through the documentaion, it seems like there are some control signal update, but is it possible to keep using the previous driver.

Also if I am not using the user computer, do i still need to update the system to ROS2?

Thank you.

Hello @Rejin_Jacob,

In the software for ROS2, the motors controller firmware has been updated and some modifications have been made to improve communication with ROBOTEQ (controller). For these reasons it is necessary to both reprogram the ROBOTEQ and upload a new image to the Built-in computer. For these reasons, it is necessary to both reprogram the ROBOTEQs and upload a new image to the Built-in computer. All this information is available on our website.

Let me know if you have any more.
Regards,

Thank you for the reply.

What about the user computer, is it mandatory to update the system to ROS2 as well?

This is recommended, otherwise you need to use additional tools like ros_bridge and have two versions of ROS installed: ROS and ROS 2 on one device to be able to view topics. I think it may take a similar amount of time and the computer load will be lower.