Pre-sales Questions

I have recently discovered the ROSbot 2.0 and I am very interested, but have a LOT of questions before spending thousands of dollars.

Here goes:

What kind of run time are you getting from the ROSbot 2.0 and the ROSbot 2.0 Pro? I assume the Pro does not run as long due to the UP Board’s power requirements?

How much faster does the battery drain with the UP Board than the Tinkerboard?

Can you tell me anything about the internals before I buy one and take it apart? For instance:
How are you converting power for the UP Board from the batteries?
How are you breaking out the USB for the Lidar, Camera, and two rear ports?
How are you keeping everything cool inside the metal box?

What is the maximum speed of the robot under ROS control?

Have you tested it on uneven surfaces?
How does it work, for instance, on carpet? a parking lot? grass?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I am very interested. However, I have also been burned before by systems that looked good on paper but failed to perform well enough in practice to even be useful for learning, much less interesting to use.

On the other hand, I have spent enough time and money (more than the cost of a ROSbot 2.0 Pro by now) on my own projects to know that the work that has gone into ROSbot 2.0 is well worth the price if the result is functional.

I do realize that much of this is probably “trade” information that you do not want to give away, just to have somebody copy it, but of course you know once anybody buys one, we will just open it up and look.

If you have any more performance data, pictures of the inside, and/or links to reviews by third parties, I would greatly appreciate it.

Chris L8

P.S. I realize my post feels directed to Husarian, but I am posting it on a public forum. I hope to receive information from both Husarian and the user community here.

Thank you all!

Hi Chris,

I’m happy to hear that you are interested in ROSbot 2.0.

ROSbot 2.0 and ROSbot 2.0 PRO have very similar run time. Difference of power consumption between UpBoard and TinkerBoard is negligibly small in compares to 4 motors, Lidar and RGBD Camera. When you don’t use these elements during your work with ROSbot run time is about 3 hours. When you use the robot very intensively using all of its equipment run time is about 1 hour.

How are you converting power for the UP Board from the batteries?

Converting power for SBCs is done by CORE2.

How are you breaking out the USB for the Lidar, Camera, and two rear ports?

Lidar and Camera, and rear ports are connected directly to SBC USB.

How are you keeping everything cool inside the metal box?

Here we have a difference between ROSbot 2.0 and ROSbot 2.0 PRO.

ROSbot 2.0 has a passive cooling system in the form of a heat sink.
ROSbot 2.0 PRO has an active cooling system in the form of a fan and heat sink.

Both solutions are doing very well.

What is the maximum speed of the robot under ROS control?

Maximum robot linear speed is 1.25 m/s and maximum rotational velocity is 7.33 rad/s (420 deg/s).

Have you tested it on uneven surfaces?
How does it work, for instance, on carpet? A parking lot? Grass?

Until the inequalities are no greater than the robot’s clearance, this is not a problem. ROSbot sometimes have problem with moving on carpet because of type of used tires.

You can check ROSbot’s in action on University of Bath video here.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Best regards,
Hubert