RoboCore Disconnects after 24hrs

Hi,

I have a question about the RoboCore with the Intel Edison installed.

If I load the firmware to the unit and leave it over night running, by the end of the next day it says the units offline even though it still on.

Dear support,

When I got home yesterday to investigate what was happening I found the unit was still running the code as the buttons I programmed to turn the LEDs on still worked. For some reason it had just disconnected from the network.

Testing the RoboCore with Intel Edison further, I also found it’s not only disconnecting after 24hrs, it’s in fact random. I reset the unit last night at around 10pm and this morning when I checked it via the cloud page it says it’s offline once again.

This unit is only 3mtrs from an access point so reception issues are not the issue.

What would cause the unit to disconnect from the network and is there a way of monitoring the wifi connection and if it fails have it reconnect?

Hi, we still investigate this issue. We will give you an answer as soon as we will find out what is going on. Thank you for a feedback.

Hey Dominik,

I found 3 out of six RoboCore with Edison modules installed have trouble connection via Bluetooth to my iPhone. Some connect to the iPhone and allow me to connect the RoboCore to the wifi network but then seem to forget the network.

Nathan

Hi Guys,

So, I now get no connection to any of my RoboCore units at all. I have multiple units that won’t connect to the app via Bluetooth nor to the cloud via wifi. Some allowed me to get the firmware to a point that I could install it to test and now nothing.

How can I revive these units to a working state once again. I’m using them on a Windows machine and programming via the cloud ide.

I would greatly appreciate some assistance with the issues I’m experiencing.

Thanks,

Nathan

Hey Guys,

I would like to query something with you. I have installed an Edison module with the original OS that they are supplied with into the RoboCore board. So far the Edison module stays connected to the network and I can access it with no trouble.

I would like to programming using the Intel XDK as I know this works and I can access it better than using the Cloud XDK at this stage. What do I need to do to be able to use the Intel XDK for programming the Intel Edison for use with the the RoboCore board.

kind Regards,

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

Please tell me if you have programmer board for Intel Edison, so you can change Edison firmware?

Hey Kristian,

Yes I do have a couple of base boards for the Edison.

Nathan

Is there a link to the updated firmware and a Windows utility for reflashing the Edison. Also does the RoboCore need updating and is there a tool for this also as it doesn’t connect to do the updates online.

Thanks

Nathan

Hi Krystian,

I have installed the Edison that came with the RobCore into a Sparkfun console block and used putty to connect to it via serial. Is there an update command I can use to update the Edison and resolve the connection issues?

Regards,

Nathan

Hi Krystian,

I was able to modify the Linux config of the Edison that came with the RoboCore board to force it to connect to my WiFi network. After which I reinstalled the Edison back into the RoboCore board and it connected to the cloud once again. I can now program the unit but will monitor for the next couple of days to see if the problem returns.

Regards

Nathan

Hey Krystian,

Its the next day and the unit has disconnected again. :frowning:

Regards,

Nathan

Dear Support,

So the RoboCore never did reconnect to the network after it disconnected the other day. I have since tried downloading the Edison-stable image from your site and updating the Edison whilst installed in the RoboCore via USB memory stick as per the instructions on you website but this didn’t work either. One thing I did notice was that during boot up, this Edison would lock up and displayed a message unable to write to disk as it was full. This particular Edison is the one that originally came with the RoboCore, stopped connecting to the network as they all have so far, Its also the one I had to remote into the Edison and change the config so it would connect to the network, then did the update via your website and the next day stopped working.

I’m left with no alternative but to flash the Edison with the original Yocto image from Intel that I know works reliably in an attempt to get the device to connect to the network. Is there any documentation available for Edison to Cortex communication so we can access the RoboCore feaures using an alternate IDE?

Regards,

Nathan

Hi Nathan, before the end of the week, a new firmware version for Edison will be ready together with a new configuration App for RoboCORE. Stay tuned, soon your problems with Edison will disappear!

Best,
Dominik

Hey Dominik,

Sorry if was being annoying, but I think the board has a lot of potential and have a few different projects I would like to utilise the RoboCore board for. I have as you know been trying to find an alternative for my chicken coop and I would also like to make a robotic lawn mower.

One question I do have, do you think in the future you will allow development using the Intel XDK for offline programming. I have some ideas for other projects that need to work offline also. I also like the ability to program the device via the network.

Kind Regards,

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

It’s not a problem - we are happy that you give a feedback to help us improve RoboCORE.

If you would like to use offline programming, this is possible even now. Here you can find instructions how to setup CooCox and Code::Blocks development environmets: https://wiki.robocore.io/howto:installation . We have no experience with Intel XDK right now.

In case of any further questions don’t hesitate to ask. I look forward to see your constructions!

Best,
Dominik

Hey Dominik,

Is there a new ETA on the firmware and app for the RoboCore. Ive been checking the website and app store but havent seen anything yet.

Kind Regards,

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

We have prepared the initial version of the new firmware for Intel Edison

In order to apply new firmware, you must also upgrade the bootloader in RoboCORE:

1. Download http://files.robocore.io/sdk/RoboCORE_SDK-stable.zip and unpack it
  2. Download http://files.robocore.io/sdk/bootloader_robocore_1_0_0.hex
  3. Go through https://wiki.robocore.io/bootloader:flashing but the command in step 6 would be:
robocore-flasher.exe --unprotect
robocore-flasher.exe bootloader_robocore_1_0_0.hex
  1. Download Edison firmware from http://files.robocore.io/sdk/toFlash.zip
  2. Flash Edison using guide from Edge, IoT & 5G Development (starting at point 2)
  3. Install hConfig application from link http://files.robocore.io/sdk/hConfig.apk on you Android phone and follow the instructions. (you may need to allow installing application from Unknown sources as it is not yet published to the Google Play)

In case of any troubles don’t hesitate to ask!

Bast,
KD

Hey Kristian,

FYI;

Unfortunately, the update of the RoboCore and Intel Edison didn’t work as i thought it would.

Firstly I tried to do the update of the RoboCore on a windows machine following the instructions to the letter, this didnt work very well for me at all.

Second attempt was on a Linux machine, on this machine it would seem the RoboCore update was a successful. The Intel Edison update, not so much.

Finally, I decided to give the update one more try and return to the windows machine to try the Intel Edison update but, didn’t work on this machine either.

Nathan

C:\toFlash>flashall
Using U-boot target: edison-robocore
Now waiting for dfu device 8087:0a99
Please plug and reboot the board
Dfu device found
Flashing IFWI
Flashing U-Boot
Download [=========================] 100% 245760 bytes
Download done.
Flashing U-Boot Environment
Download [=========================] 100% 65536 bytes