[RosBot 2.0 Pro][ROS2 Dashing] rosserial_node.py Error opening serial

Hi everyone,
We have some problems with Rosbot 2.0 Pro every time we try to run a program requiring one or more hardware components.
In particular, when we try to run rosbot_pro.launch.py in package rosbot_description, we obtain:

[INFO] [launch]: All log files can be found below /home/husarion/.ros/log/2021-01-19-13-40-38-878071-husarion-19893
[INFO] [launch]: Default logging verbosity is set to INFO
[INFO] [rosserial_node.py-1]: process started with pid [19905]
[INFO] [rosbot_tf-2]: process started with pid [19906]
[rosserial_node.py-1] [ERROR] [serial_node]: Error opening serial

And we obtain the same error with all the demo programs. While if we try with teleop program we obtain no errors, but the teleop simply does not work.

We followed the whole procedure for the installation and update of firmware as it is reported on the web page, but nothing seems to work.

Hi AndreaEirale,

I’m sorry to hear about your issue.

Unfortunately we will no longer upgrade this image because ROS Dashing is officially supported only till May 2021 (it is practically not developed anymore). We already created a new image based on Ubuntu 20.04 with ROS2 Foxy. We have to run only a few more tests, so we will release a new image till the end of next week. I hope it’s not problem for you?

Right after release I will announce on community forum this fact as a new topic.

Best regards,
Hubert

Hi,

We have strict necessity to work with Dashing due to incompatibilities of other components with Foxy. Have you ever seen such an issue and could you provide such further information about it? We already tried to reinstall OS and firmware several times, but the problem persist and is always the same.

Also, with ROS1 teleop worked, so it is not an Hardware problem

Hello AndreaEirale,

There was a problem with parameter declaration on Dashing in rosbot_description package. This issue was solved on Foxy branch.
You could try to add changes from this commit on dashing branch. This should solve problem with serial port initialization.

Regards,
Łukasz

Hello lukasz.mitka,
I tried your solution, but now we receive this error:

[INFO] [launch]: All log files can be found below /home/husarion/.ros/log/2021-02-08-08-34-57-445929-husarion-16073
[INFO] [launch]: Default logging verbosity is set to INFO
[INFO] [rplidar_composition-1]: process started with pid [16085]
[INFO] [static_transform_publisher-2]: process started with pid [16086]
[INFO] [rosserial_node.py-3]: process started with pid [16088]
[INFO] [rosbot_tf-4]: process started with pid [16096]
[rplidar_composition-1] [ERROR] [rplidar_composition]: Error, operation time out. RESULT_OPERATION_TIMEOUT!
[rosserial_node.py-3] [ERROR] [serial_node]: Unable to sync with device; possible link problem or link software version mismatch such as hydro rosserial_python with groovy Arduino

We already tried the everything, but all we got until now are only problems.

We have strict necessity to work with ROS2 Dashing, but at this point we would gladly try out the version of the firmware for ROS2 Foxy, if that was available.

We are honestly a bit upset, firstly because it is generally a really bad practice to interrupt the support for a version of the software when the new one is still not available, and secondly because my original post is 18 days old and the Foxy version is still not available.

Our work has been blocked for 20 days because of this, and we are late on schedule.

I hope the Foxy version will be out soon, or at lest you release a fix for this problem.

Andrea Eirale

Hi AndreaEirale,

Sorry for delay in release of new image version. We occurred some additional issues during the testing process.

Please check ROS2 Noetic image. You can download it from our website.

I hope everything will be working fine with your project.

Please share with me your feedback :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Hubert

Hi Hubert,

Unfortunately, Noetic is ROS1, not ROS2…

I understand we will have to wait for the release for ROS2 Foxy.

Andrea Eirale

Hi Andrea,

One more time sorry I mean Foxy, please check link :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Hubert

Ok, I tried the firmware and, wow, I don’t really know what to say…

The firmware for Ubuntu 20.04 + ROS2 Foxy simply isn’t working, the ROSBOT cannot even boot it properly.
On the other hand, the firmware presented as Ubuntu 20.04 + ROS Noetic is indeed a copy of the firmware for Ubuntu 18.04 and ROS Melodic.

We are seriously evaluating asking for a refund, because we really feel made fun of.

Hi Andrea,

I’m sorry to hear that. I can assure you that we don’t make fun of you.

Maybe your web browser cache some elements of our website because I can easily download both version of image based on Ubuntu 20.04. Please try to remove cookies and try one more time.

Regard to issue with booting of SBC. Upboard updated kernel for Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04 what cause booting problem. To fix it you just have to open BIOS>Chipset>South Bridge>SCC eMMC Support and change mode for “ACPI mode” to “PCI mode”.

Please describe in more detail what’s the problem with the firmware in the image 20.04 + ROS2 Foxy so we can investigate the issue. If that’s hard to describe I would be happy to arrange a quick call on Google Meet so you can walk me through what is going wrong.

Best regards,
Hubert

Hi Hubert,

We tried your fix through the BIOS but it is not working yet.
The first time we tried, we received the error:

error: can't find command 'hwmatch'
error: invalid environment block

We tried other times, but from then on, the boot of the image on the external drive is bypassed and the rosbot start on the old Ubuntu 18.04.
We tried to re-flash the image on the drive but nothing changed.
How can we solve such a problem?

Thanks,
Andrea Eirale

Hi Andrea,

Unfortunately I can’t help you with this problem based on this description.

I’ve sent you a privet message to set up direct support for your case. Please respond to me as soon as you will see it.

Best regards,
Hubert