ROSbot stuck during Object Search project

I’ve been trying the Object Search project on an Ubuntu 16 VM, using ROS Kinetic and Gazebo.

After multiple runs, it has only located the object (in my case, the “STOP” sign) once. The most common outcome is that ROSbot gets stuck during the exploration process (see screenshot).

I have mostly followed the instructions on the site, with some configuration I gathered from the GitHub repo. Any ideas what can be wrong?

Hi cptanalatriste,

Tutorial that you mention was hidden since ROS Kinetic is no longer support. Few weeks ago we changed engine for building our docs and because of oversight it was back to our website. I’ve already fixed it and hide it one more time. Thank you for informing us about it.

Nevertheless, working of tutorial looks perfectly fine in your description. After ROSbot found a desired object, in this case “STOP” sign, it just stops which is equal to finish his job. I honestly don’t understand what the problem is?

Best regards,
Hubert

Hi @Hubert_Zwiercan, thanks for the response!

In the screenshot, ROSBot is stopping in front of the wheel, instead of the STOP sign. From what I can see, it’s getting stuck in some sort of infinite loop, where ROSbot is visiting the same location ad-infinitum.

I only noticed that in the original documentation (see image), the map only had the STOP sign, without any other interfering object. Do you think that can be generating the bug?

Hi cptanalatriste,

I’m sorry. I thought that object in front of ROSbot on your screenshot was “STOP” sign (on the screenshot we see only the back side of the object).

In that case, the problem can be caused by:

• Update of some pkg included in project
  • More object in playground (like you suggested) it may not have been tested with an object of a similar shape
  • Not enough computing power

Because of project is no longer support in two first cases, the only solution is to use debugging tools to check where the problem is located.
In the last case, it will be enough to open htop and monitor computing powers consumption after start launch file.

Please let me know as soon as you will find something.

Best regards,
Hubert