[Solved] Hardware clock

Hi,

this might be a redundant question, since the information probably is buried somewhere in the hardware specification. But so far I haven’t been able to find an answer to

whether the ROSbot 2.0 uses a hardware/real time clock in conjunction with an rtc battery.

Since I need to synchronize the clock(s) on every boot I am not sure if this is just a board specific behaviour or if I should check and possibly replace the rtc battery.

Thanks and best regards.

Hi reza,
Unfortunately the ROSbot 2.0 SBC is not equipped with the battery powered RTC. If your projects require this feature you can customize your robot by adding DS3231 RTC (e.g. Adafruit DS1307 Real Time Clock Assembled Breakout Board : ID 3296 : $7.50 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits). The least invasive method to install it would be to connect it to the rear panel of your ROSbot. Then you would have to modify the firmware to communicate with DS3231 using i2c and create ros interface that would allow time synchronization with the SBC.

You can also connect it directly to the Tinker board, but it would require changes in the kernel and some ROSbot’s gutting to reach SBC pins.

Best Regards