[Solved] Melodic Range Sensors

I cannot get the range sensors to work in tutorial 4 visual object search. I have also tried them any other time the ekf is running using rostopic echo /range/fr or any of the other three. In kinetic I have never had a problem they always work so I know it’s not hardware related.
Note you can now do the webui in both kinetic and melodic the packages are now available and it works nicely in both.

I solved this so need to reply.

Hi hskramer,

May I ask you what caused this issue and haw did you solve it?

Best regards,
Hubert

I still haven’t solved it is very strange, as I’m writing this, Saturday the 30th 20:15 PST I have good readings from three of my four range sensors. The two rear ones are working and the front right is working the front left has -1 for a reading despite having the exact same object in front of it as the right one it remained that way until I restarted about an hour later (I wanted to see if others would fail or if it would start working). I don’t have a clue why 3 of 4 are working. Sometimes all four work other times none work or it’s some other combination. The only thing I have noticed is the rear ones work most consistently. The only time they don’t work is when all fail.

Good news I just got the docker container for voice command working. It takes some time to get the microphone and everything dialed in just right but once done it works nicely. Same with the WebUI and Admin Panel. All the tutorials work along with the ROS Projects that I have tried Frontier exploration and Voice control. Working on the led lighting next. Husarnet is really nice very fast response times. I would have used it sooner had I known how well it works. If your not using it you should everything works with it and it’s easy to setup.

Finally solved, totally my fault I had accidentally let an sd card fall into rosbot when switching from kinetic to melodic and while closing it back up I inadvertently loosened the front range sensor cable. This evening I finally opened it up to try moving sensors around when I noticed this. Secured the cable to the sensors and carefully put the top back on. Now the front sensors are working perfectly again. Not a software issue at all.

1 Like