[Solved] ROSbot 2 Pro BIOS eMMC setting: PCI mode vs ACPI mode

Hi,

I notice the advice regarding setting South Bridge eMMC support from ACPI to PCI mode. All our ROSbots were set to ACPI and I install the husarion image Ubuntu 20.04 ROS Noetic for UPboard and robot boots up and runs okay with eMMC ACPI mode.
My question therefore, is why must we change to PCI mode? I do this and it seems robots disk access is slower - is that correct?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Kind regards,
Jon.

Hi Jon,

setting PCI mode in BIOS is to allow the system to shut down securely. In ACPI mode the operating system will freeze while shutting down. It can be noticed when you connect the external display. It’s better to set PCI mode since it will ensure that all file operations on disc are finished before shutting down power.

Best regards,
Krzysztof Wojciechowski.

Hi Kryzsztof,

Thank you, that is good information to know. In fact I just tested it and indeed, the robot shutdown okay with PCI mode.
One final thing to note is that during boot of the image ISO, before the Ubuntu installation, I saw 4 or 5 lines of warnings relating to ACPI. Sorry I did not take photo soon enough. I do not remember seeing those warnings when BIOS eMMC support was set to ACPI.
Otherwise the image appears to have installed correctly.

Thank you and kind regards,
Jon.

Hi Jon,

we are aware of those warnings, but we didn’t notice that they may affect overall system behaviour.

Best regards,
Krzysztof Wojciechowski.

Hi,

You are correct, it seems it was something else I had done to cause the slow down. Now I re-image the robot it seems okay.

Thank you and kind regards,
Jon.