Upgrade Rosbot 2.0 Pro antenna to 5 GHz

Hello,

as the title states, I want to upgrade the wifi antenna from the factory 2.4 GHz to 5 Ghz/dual band as I am working with a router that only has 5 GHz enabled and I am not allowed to enable 2.4Ghz.

What are the neccessary steps to achieve this? Is it enough to change the antenna itself or do I need to upgrade any additional parts?
Thank you in advance.

Best regards

Hi TBR_Jay,

Unfortunately, replacing the antenna won’t change the frequency of Wi-Fi module. In default, we use dedicated for UpBoard Wi-Fi kit, and it only uses 2.4GHz frequency.

I suggest you buy any 5 GHz Wi-Fi module that support Ubuntu and connect it to the USB port in rear panel of ROSbot.

Best regards,
Hubert

Ok. That was what I did until now, when the module broke after the roboter flipped onto its back once. I’m currently trying to find a more robust and non-removable way to solve this.
I’ll post here again if I find a way to solve this that doesn’t involve using a USB dongle on the inside and feeding the antenna through the already cut hole.

Thank you nonetheless.

I see two option to solve this issue:

• You can easily replace default module for your new one after removing top cover (Wi-Fi module will be inside cover, so perfectly safe, but in case of deal some damage to robot during replacing devices we will not be able to accept the warranty)
  • You can use USB adapter cable and stick your module to top cover of ROSbot. It’s not a perfect solution, but it’s better than plug it directly in to USB on the rear panel in case of any crush.

I hope this tips will help you.

Best regards,
Hubert

@TBR_Jay did you check any of my suggestion?

Best regards,
Hubert

Hello Hubert,

I had to work on another project in the meantime and the following week but I checked where the module is located. I am probably going to replace it but I have not yet found a module that I am going to replace it with. I will probably be able to work on this project at the end of the week or next week.

Best regards.