Upload programs wireless without cloud

Is there a possibility to upload programs to core2-ros without cloud connection (and without cable, of course)?
Michael

With no cloud and no cable? So, just your local wifi? I mean, if you set up your own servers, maybe? But at that point, the servers just to upload and control your robot would be your project, not the robot itself.

Just use the USB cable with Visual Studio Code if you don’t want to use the Husarion Cloud IDE.

From my understanding my program (written in the Web) is sent from the cloud via my local wifi to the Raspberry (in my case) or the ESP. From there it is moved via the RPi connector the the Core2 and flashed in the memory.
Very untechnical description I know … :wink:
So it should be possible to send the program from Visual Studio Code directly per wifi to the RPi/ESP and from there to the Core2.
This would help to make development and the handling much easier, especially for moving robots.

Michael

You still normally need some kind of server between you and your destination. It is possible to send things directly with something like a P2P connection, but I don’t know of any software that exists for VSC to allow you to do this.

Is there a reason why you want it contained entirely within your own WiFi, and to avoid the use of the programming cable?

The only reason is when running the robot outside, sometimes there is no or at least no good internet to connect with the cloud. On the other side it is easier to update the program via Wifi (with a small hot spot) instead over cable.
Also I am not sure how stable the connection between PCB and micro USB connector is.

Ok, I think I am following you better now. It is not so much the cloud IDE you’re trying avoid, but you want to maintain some kind of wireless control of your robot?

It is both. I can’t use the cloud software because sometimes there is no (or bad) internet where I am working with my robot. Also I need a wireless connection for controlling it via (e.g. ROS) tools.
So for my understanding there must run a piece of software on the RPi which gets the binary from the cloud and flashes it to the Core2.
The question is when I copy the binary wireless) via FTP at the RPi can it be flashed also to the Core2?
As I wrote before this would make the handling much easier (robot on the floor, PC with IDE on the table).

A laptop in the field running a virtual machine that contains a mini version of the husarion cloud image would be perfect. It wouldn’t hurt to ask. I could use this as well. No internet required. The laptop would provide the development infrastructure.

There is a workaround to make remote CORE2 programming, without a cloud connection needed:

1. in your CORE2-ROS, connect CORE2 board to the RaspberryPi/ASUS Tinker Board by using USB cable (RPi USB host <-> CORE2 micro USB serial port)
  2. On your laptop, using VSC build your project. You will get output file, eg. firmware.hex
  3. Send firmware.hex to the RaspberryPi/ASUS Tinker Board (eg. FTP server)
  4. Open a linux terminal in your CORE2-ROS and execute this command:
    /opt/husarion/tools/rpi-linux/core2-flasher firmware.hex

Let me know how it works for you.

I think he’s talking.aboir using the cloud IDE in locations where there is no internet access. The Cloud IDE API and VSC API are not compatible and not all functions are available in VSC. That’s why it makes sense to have a portable VM with all the development tools needed

I actually would love to have that. Not to ratchet things up a notch, because I know that a VM would be simpler, but maybe containing the wireless communication to Visual Studio Code; less software to break or setup. I would settle for any kind of wireless interface to a robot that could run off a laptop without extra middleman hardware.

I suspect this would be a tall order, no matter what.

Actually, we already have an alpha version of a solution which allows you to do exactly what you mentioned- program and use your CORE-based robots from anywhere without “extra middleman hardware” or cloud. Imagine P2P connection between your robot and your laptop. It’s called Husarnet and will be available by the end of February :slight_smile:

1 Like