Here’s my first experience:
When I first tried to turn on the device, nothing happened. I checked the power and there was no voltage between the pins on the barrel plug. I traced this to the battery housings, and found that both inputs to the plug were connected to the +ve outputs from the two battery housings, and their grounds were connected together. Okay, so I resoldered that.
That fixed, I plugged in, turned it on, and it started moving forward and trying to mate with any obstacle in front of it. A little recalibration later, and it was standing on its own with no support from me. Yay!
Next, I tried the android app. I first tried a cheapo apex TM772 device. The app seems confused as to whether it supports upside-down orientation, which is important here as the TM772 has the USB port on the top. Anyway, I could login and connect to the device, and do device registration, but the app pretty quickly crashed thereafter. No problem, lots of apps seem to have trouble with that device.
So I tried another android device - the HTC One M8. This can login and connect to the device. It also seems able to connect to the cloud because it knows the nickname I assigned by robot, and it says that the platform status is “authorized but not connected.” When I go to the web interface, I see that my bot is listed as offline.
I rebooted the phone, in the hope that that would help. Amazingly the “no installed apps work with this accessory” message pops up in the middle of the bootloader, but once I’m fully booted things seem to work okay. I’m back at the same “authorized but not connected” prompt though. I try to telnet to the “local serial” port listed, but nothing’s happening there.
The bot itself seems to be working fine, but the android app seems to be having trouble. Given that I’m only the 5th download of the app, I imagine that these issues will be worked out in due time. I’ll try again with a different device tomorrow.