Your first experience using Ralph telepresence robot

I got mine assembled. first, thanks for your hard work.
in my package, it is missing a part - the wheels support link. not a big deal, i used a copper wire tightening the support bar. and continue following the instructions, not bad.
now, i am trying to turn it on, i noticed the L3, L2, L1 is lighted by the order, i think it is trying to stabilize according to instructions.
“When you turn on your robot, it tries toreach the stable position, because there isa program on it. To go into the calibrationmode firstly press and hold S1 button untilboth LED1 and LED2 are highlighted”
my questions are

1. how long it will be reaching the stable position?in my case, it seems it can not find the statble position, and not moving.
  2. if I hold S1, usually, how long L1 and L2 can be high lighted?

I am using nexus 7. it shows “no installed apps work with this accessory”, i am using android 6.0.1
thanks.

Victor

after i reboot nexsus 7. it is getting better. it detected the usb device. but L1 keep flashing, …L2 is high lighted.

Hi victor,

L1,L2,L3 lightening in order means that Intel Edison is booting and this can last for up to 2 minutes. During this time no user program is executing, just wait. Remember, that you cannot use bot Intel Edison and Android device to connect RoboCORE to the Cloud, you should always choose one method. If you want to configure network connectivity in Intel Edison remember to connect Android device to USB port called UE

Answers to your questions:

1. It should take about few seconds
  2. I’m not sure I understood you correctly, but in order to switch to calibration mode, S1 sould be hold for about 1 second

I recommend you to take out Intel Edison and try to connect to the Cloud using only Android device connected to UC USB port, if everything would work, then we will try to solve problems with Intel Edison.

I still stuck there. now L2 is high lighted (orange), L1 keep flashing (green).
I press or hold S1, nothing happens, L1 just keep flashing.(more than 10 minutes already).

I can connect it with nexus 7 (6.0.1), nexus can detects the device, I also registered the device at platform.robocore.io. if I log in, and click the robot I created, it shows

 Loading…
(check mark) Connecting to server…
(running) Loading configuration…
(running) Loading user interface…

I think my robot was not initialized properly. any suggestions?
I think I have checked all the documents in this web site.
thanks.

Victor

Hi victor,

This is probably the same situation as in another thread in this forum, so let me quote myself:

If it comes to “loading”, this is because if you ordered kit with Intel Edison, the preprogramed code uses exactly this method to communicate with platform. If you want to try without* Intel Edison you need to upload new software to your RoboCORE that use Android. Create new project in WebIDE using ralph_firmware_v3 template and make sure that line contating platform.begin in ui.cpp contains the following code:

platform.begin(&Usb);

Flashing L1 means that RoboCORE is in bootloader mode, this is because in normal mode Android is not able to talk with RoboCORE as platform initialization code wants to talk with Intel Edison, so Android puts RoboCORE in bootloader mode in order to allow user to upload new (valid) software.

you are right. now I am in pure android enviroment.

i went to webIDE, there is no ralph_firmware_v3 template, only ralph_firmware_v2 template,
I modified the code according to your suggestion, compiled and uploaded it to my robot.
now, I can test kikstand. kind of progress.
but, but,

1. " When you turn on your robot, it tries to reach the stable position"
    I didn’t see the robot trying to balance itself. is it normal?
  2. in the kikstand test mode, up and down mechanism works,
    but L3 (yellow), keep blinking.
    Quit this mode, L3 still blinking.
  3. in MPU sensor calibration mode, L3(yellow) still blinking and
    clicking S2 or S1, nothing happened.
    this is wrong i believe.

is it possible I compiled a wrong version?
how can I get ralph_firmware_v3 you mentioned?

thanks, very helpful.

Victor

Now ralph_firmware_v3 should be available (version v2 should also work, though)

Please make sure that you connected MPU orientation sensor to hSens2, blinking L3 means Ralph is unable to initialize this sensor properly.

Hi Krystian,
thank you for the help. finally, I got it working. I made some mistakes, I list them here, so it may help others.

!! if your Edison module came separately !! (if you see there is a Edison chip set in your package),
you may have the same problems as me (listed below)
1) after you assemble all parts according to the PDF, it will not work, that’s normal. you have to take out robotcore mother board, install Edison module by yourself, here is the instruction.
enter link description here
2) if you installed in Edison module, you need to make sure the USB cable connecting to UE, not UC.
3) MPU orientation sensor to hSens2 !!! I made a mistake here, L3 keep blinking, it wasted me couple of hours.
4) after you start the module, in your mobile device, you can setup WIFI for Edison module.
(I didn’t succeed at this step, I will try it later.)
5) if you have the same situation as me at step#4, you can try to remove Edison module, reconnect USB cable to UC,
6) if you removed Edison, module, and want to make it work, you have to recompile and program robotcore.
you need to register it enter link description here, !!! click the plus sign !!!
you will see an IDE button, click it, create a new project based on ralph_firmware_v3, recompile the project,
upload it robot
7) now, you have the exact same situation as the PDF file mentioned, now you can celebrate the robot.
and it is cool, truly, it can stand on my deck (kids really love it) and it means all of my hardware are ok.

unfortunately, my robot’s footrest has broken already, not sure how it happened,
before trying put back Edison module back to the robot, I need to figure out the other way to support the robot.

I hope this post save someone else’ time (if you have intel edison module).
Good luck every one.

Victor

3 Likes

Ken, there is an updated version of RoboCORE Android App (1.2.6) available in google play. We tested this with Samsung Galaxy S5 and it works fine. Now you can update your app. Your Ralph should work without any problems!

Firstly I must say that I’m really impressed the the build quality of the Robocore and the Ralph kit. I know that others have had issues with some of the parts, but I must say that mine went together well without needing any work on the individual parts.

Unfortunately though I have now been trying to make my robot work for some time without success. I have installed the latest version of the App on a 2011 Nexus 7 and it seems to work fine. When connected to the powered up Robocore it makes a connection to the cloud system and tells me it’s connected in “accessory mode”. The video conferencing feature works perfectly between the Nexus 7 and my MacBook.

However that is as far as I can get. When I turn on the Robocore, the PWR LED is on and the L3 LED flashes between amber and green. When I try and put the device into set up / calibration modes as per the build instructions, then I can’t make the foot servo operate or get the motors to run. I’ve checked and double checked the connections and from what I can see they are correct.

I would appreciate any help or advice you can provide as I really want to get my namesake up and running.

Ralf

Do you have Edison module in your package? If so you need to install Edison module by yourself.

Thanks Victor,

No I didn’t opt for the Edison package as I was intending to use the android device for Ralph and when I do other project I have a Raspberry Pi to use.

Hi Ralf, have you tried to program your assembled Ralph through https://platform.robocore.io? There is an IDE - development environment in which you can develop software for your robots without installing anything on your computer. All you need is an Internet access and web browser (Chrome is the best). After clicking “IDE” button, create new project based on “ralph_firmware_v3” template. Then select your Ralph and program it. If you connected every cable to the right port everything should work well. In case of any problems let us know and together we will fix it.

Hi ralfj,

Blinking L3 means that there is a problem with the MPU orientation sensor. Please make sure that you connected it to hSens2. There may also be problem with cable.

1 Like

Following @nocturne’s idea we made a guide, that should help you recognise some bolts, nuts and other parts included into a Ralph Kit. We are looking forward for your feedback. I hope you’ll enjoy it.
The guide is available here:
https://wiki.robocore.io/kits:ralph

1 Like

Hi guys,

Firstly, great work! I have been so disappointed by so many Kickstarters, but you have really delivered. I received my three Ralphs this week, and i am working on them now at the weekend. The packaging is great, the components all seem fine, the instructions are clear and easy to find, the videos are very good, and the IDE and community support pages are all working well.

My problem is probably answered somewhere else but i have had new a look around already and i did follow the video instructions for Programming Ralph for the First time. Im using an android envionment, a Lenovo tablet, and the app works fine. My statusis connected, and it is in Device Accessory mode with an IP, and my robot shows up in the IDE, no problem.

The stage i get stuck in is the Upload of your Ralph fiwarere v3 template. I hit build and it builds fine, then i hit upload to Robot and it just sticks on Initializing… forever. Ive tried quite a few times, and created new templates to upload, but always it the same issue. What should i do?

OK now it went past initialization - but i have a new thing.

I am in the WebUI and the cameras and sound are working on the android tablet, but the wheels are not. The stand twitches when i turn the RoboCore on, so i think that its plugged in correctly, so i will try and see if i put the motors in the wrong M3 m4 ports and try again.

Right so i swapped the motors so they arent the problem i dont think - any suggestions please?

Everything else looks normal - the picture is coming through on the webUI and the device, sound works albeit with a bit of feedback, the controls on the webUI look like they’re ready to work although i cant understand how to deploy the stand from the webUI as it only works when i hold down the ‘s1’ button in the Robocore then press it again when all he leds have turnd on (L2 is red in that state, does that mean something?).

I await your instructions…

Hi Neoindigo, it’s great to hear that you like what you received :). At first make sure that MPU9250 orientation sensor is connected to the right hSensor port (hSens2 - https://wiki.robocore.io/hardware:description ).

If this doesn’t help check whether motors work, by starting a new project with a sample code, that rotates one of Ralph’s wheel each time you push the ‘a’ button on your keyboard (in web UI):

#include "hFramework.h"
#include "hCloudClient.h"

void cfgHandler() {
    platform.ui.video.enable();
}

void hMain() {
    platform.begin(&Usb);
    platform.ui.configHandler = cfgHandler;

platform.ui.onKeyEvent = [](KeyEventType type, KeyCode code) {
        if (code == KeyCode::Key_A) {
            hMot3.rotRel(90); // rotate DC motor 90 encoder ticks
        }
    };
    while(1) {
         LED3.toggle();
         sys.delay(500);
    }
}

Please let me know about results.

it wasnt, now it is, and… Its ALIIIIIIVE!

The wheels are spinning, but i think i may have put the sensor on the wrong way round, as it wants to move away from the direction it is faling in, instead of the same way, if you get what i mean.

Thanks for your attention and recommendations, but while we.re talking, i want to eventually use this SDK EMOTIV · GitHub with your Ralph, so i no longer need the keyboard. Its clearly a bit early to be thinking about this before i can stay upright, but can you suggest the best way to begin? Any advice in this direction would be great - and i think you.d probably find it an interesting new direction for your Ralph system as well maybe?